Re: Is the gcc-3_3-branch creation still on target?

"David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 06:14:09PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>> Ok, back to your claims: Did you report everything?  GCC 3.2 (and
>> neither current CVS from last week) ICEs on Linux/x86 and Linux/x86-64
>> while compiling X11 nor on any package that is in the current SuSE
>> distribution for these platforms.  So, please send bug reports that
>> are reproduceable.
>
> One from the GCC 3.1 is "-fno-align-functions regression from 2.95"
> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6627
>
> Some other things are reported, some things I know simply wont get fixed
> in the 3.2_branch.  Trimming down why I get an ICE compiling the XFree86
> 4.2.0 server, isn't worth the time it would take to narrow it down as
> long as the below PR's are still open.
>
>>From the ones that are reported (querry done in Sept):
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=gcc&category=all&severity=all&priority=all&responsible=all&submitter_id=all&state=all&ignoreclosed=Ignore%20Closed&class=all&synopsis=athlon&multitext=&columns=category&columns=state&columns=class&columns=responsible&columns=synopsis&displaydate=Display%20Current%20Date&cmd=submit%20query&sortby=Responsible&.cgifields=columns&.cgifields=originatedbyme&.cgifields=displaydate&.cgifields=ignoreclosed
>
> PR   Category     State Class            Responsible Synopsis
> 6845 optimization open ice-on-legal-code unassigned ICE with -O -march=pentium3/pentium2/athlon
> 7034 optimization open ice-on-legal-code unassigned ICE on -march=athlon for CLAPACK code
> 7124 optimization open ice-on-legal-code unassigned -O2 -march=athlon produces ICE
> 7134 optimization open ice-on-legal-code unassigned Athlon: ICE in extract_insn, at recog.c:2130
> 7174 optimization open sw-bug            unassigned ICE:seg fault with O2 and athlon-xp architecture
> 7390 optimization open ice-on-legal-code unassigned ICE with gcc 3.1, happens only with -march athlon
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6845
> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7034
> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7124
> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7134
> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7174

All of these are closed with comments that they got  fixed or could
not reproduced anymore.

> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7390

This one is open and Honza mentioned "have tentative fix"

So, let's get back to your original claim:
> [...]  It has serious optimization bugs for modern x86
> processors, for which the PR's aren't getting fixed.  It has regressions

>From the 6 bugs "serious optimization bugs" that you mention, 5 are
fixed and one is worked one.  Is this really nothing "gets fixed"?

I'm glad to see that the situation has improved since last time you
looked at this...

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger