Re: C++ ABI Issues

Devang Patel wrote:
On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 09:49  AM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
Based on the very clear consensus from the various distributors, I'm
going to implement patches today that add the warnings and
conformance-level option.
I hope there will be an option to disable warnings.
I hope there will be an option to enable warnings.

The default should be no warnings.

Since we don't have multi-vendor library compatibility
(or are both HP and Intel using libstc++?), incompatibility
with other compilers is a theoretical concern.  It should not
cause the compiler to complain about perfectly valid code.

Yes, it means the code will be binary incompatible with
future versions of G++, but that is likely to be true for
most non-trivial C++ code.  This assumes that we will not
change the default ABI, for quite a while, until there is
a *really* good reason to change, one good enough to
force *everybody* to re-compile.
--
	--Per Bothner