This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: C++ ABI Issues
- From: Joe Buck <Joe dot Buck at synopsys dot com>
- To: phil at jaj dot com (Phil Edwards)
- Cc: Joe dot Buck at synopsys dot COM (Joe Buck),mark at codesourcery dot com (Mark Mitchell), gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:32:12 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: C++ ABI Issues
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 05:10:19PM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> > > 2. Tail-padding and virtual base classes
> > Question: does anyone know if case 2 affects anything in libstdc++?
> > (e.g. iostream classes?)
> No, I don't think anyone knows yet. As soon as warnings are added to
> detect this kind of thing, I'll find out. :-)
It seems that even if it does, we can preserve libstdc++'s binary
compatibility by adding a dummy field that exactly fills up any padding.
This will make no difference in 3.2, and will force any compiler correctly
implementing the ABI to match the 3.2 interface.