This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: C++ ABI Issues
- From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at integrable-solutions dot net>
- To: Joe Buck <Joe dot Buck at synopsys dot com>
- Cc: phil at jaj dot com (Phil Edwards), mark at codesourcery dot com (Mark Mitchell), gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: 27 Aug 2002 20:54:45 +0200
- Subject: Re: C++ ABI Issues
- Organization: CodeSourcery, LLC
- References: <200208271832.LAA27160@atrus.synopsys.com>
Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.com> writes:
| > On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 05:10:19PM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
| > > > 2. Tail-padding and virtual base classes
| > [...]
| > > Question: does anyone know if case 2 affects anything in libstdc++?
| > > (e.g. iostream classes?)
| > No, I don't think anyone knows yet. As soon as warnings are added to
| > detect this kind of thing, I'll find out. :-)
| It seems that even if it does, we can preserve libstdc++'s binary
| compatibility by adding a dummy field that exactly fills up any padding.
Isn't this the compiler should be doing (with appropriate flags if
necessary)? It certainly does know where to fill things. I would
certainly prefer that to clutering V3 with pad0, pad1, ...