Re: gcc 3.2 on Solaris 8 (libgcc_s.so problem)

I tried the Sun linker and assembler in "/usr/ccs/bin". With them I can at least run a simple program, but now there are
problems linking source files that use "std::basic_string<wchar_t>".
Do you have a simple testcase that fails for you?  Then please file
a bug (via gccbug) so this can be investigated.

I've already deleted the gcc build that gave me problems, so I'll try it agian sometime later.

I'm sure I'll get it going eventually.  I just found out I need
another configure flag "--enable-cxx-flags="-fshort-wchar".  Thank
you for your help.
This seems terribly wrong: the gcc/g++ defaults for wchar_t match
what Solaris 8 has in <iso/wchar_iso.h>, while the -fshort-wchar
flag changes wchar_t to short, creating an incompatibility with
system functions.

Why do you think you need this?

	Rainer
We are building a cross-platform app (MacOSX, Windows, Solaris, Linux, and hopefully FreeBSD) that needs 2-byte unicode characters. In "gcc 3.0.4" on Solaris this flag wasn't necessary to make -fshort-wchar work. However, for gcc 3.2 on Linux it seems to be necessary, and I assumed it was now for Solaris as well.

Also, I guess I don't know what system functions this would interfere with.

-Tony