Re: Faster compilation speed

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 04:05 PM, Aldy Hernandez wrote:
I assume you have already looked at the horrendity of the code
presently generated by -O0.
Yes. I am familiar with codegen at -O0.

It's pretty unusable as it is.  Who would
really want to use gcc under the influence of "worse than -O0"?
Really.
Just a wild guess, but the same people that are used to a compiler that is 36x faster than gcc for development?
Apparently there are some, surprising as that is.

Off the top of my head, if you insist on this approach, at least
guarantee that generated code is no worse to debug.  That is the only
reason *I* use -O0, to debug.
I don't seek to make code any harder to debug (I've seen no compelling proof that this would make the compile go faster). I think leaving in the requirement that -O0 be debug friendly is a good idea.