Re: Faster compilation speed

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 04:25 PM, Stan Shebs wrote:
Sacrificing -O0 optimization is just a desperation move, since
we don't seem to have many other ideas about how to make GCC as
fast as CW.
I would not look at it that way. We have, will generate and solicit plenty of ideas. It would be nice to have in place a design that explains to ourselves where to fit in the various pieces. One way to think about it is as a marker for code that should be rethought or improved.

For example, slot combining should be so trivial and run so fast that it would be impossible to measure the effects of it. By marking it as slow, we give ourselves the opportunity to improve the code. :-)