Re: making a 2.95.4 release

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 09:22:14AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:

> For various reason people are still downloading and using 2.95.3 to this
> day.  GCC 3.x is also inappropriate for some of the BSD releases due to
> the major changes between 2.95->3.0.  Just this week someone else was
> asking for a 2.95.4 release.

yes, there are difference between 2.95 and 3.0 or 3.1. However for
many architectures 2.95 is too old and only additional headache.
I would really appreciate if some of the bigger distributions would
finally drop the old c**p. The fact that a few packages need little
patches is imho not an excuse to use a broken compiler forever.

Personally I use various 3.0 snapshots ever since the first 3.0
prerelease to keep the m68k/Q40 distribution up to date (well
trying desperately) and most problems were really minor.
Generally my experiences with 3.0 are extremely positive, only
2.7.2.3 was similarly reliable - great thanks to the gcc hackers
and especially Roman Zippel who fixed the m68k port.
2.95 official releases otoh appear to get worse with every release
- at least for m68k - so I have stopped using it at all after briefly
testing 2.95.3.

Richard