Re: making a 2.95.4 release

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, David O'Brien wrote:

> Why couldn't Red Hat do that in the EGCS 1.0 days?

Do what, exactly?

> Does Red Hat and glibc carry more stock than Debian, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
> OpenBSD combined?

Not sure how Red Hat factors into the equation, since our OS people are
no longer using 2.95.x.
I thought you are shipping a separate set of gcc sources for BSD - so
where's the problem with just using code from the branch for that?  I fail
to see how making it an official release would be of any help.

I might be persuaded, but it's not a simple matter of making tarballs
and putting them on ftp.gnu.org.  There needs to be more testing to make
sure there are no regressions, and it could be difficult to find the
volunteers for that with 3.1 around the corner.  And if we make another
official release, I simply think it would be nice to fix more problems
first.

Bernd