Re: gcc development schedule [Re: sharing libcpp between GDB and GCC]

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 05:36:32PM -0500, David Edelsohn wrote:

> Richard> I think this is a mistake.  It is completely unreasonable to have
> Richard> the entire "major structural changes" time period concurrent with
> Richard> "please work on making a release happen".
>
> Richard> I've been working under the assumption that the current schedule can
> Richard> be changed, so that I can help Diego with the language independent
> Richard> tree-ish IL after the 3.1 release.
>
> 	I agree.  We do not have enough developer bandwidth to work on
> major, new changes concurrently with the release process.  Even after GCC
> 3.1.0 is released, we will need to assess how much effort will be required
> for the GCC 3.1.1 bug-fix release the following quarter.

I agree too. I think a 6 month cycle is too ambitious and something like
10 month cycle (e.g. as between 3.0 and expected 3.1) would be better.
That way developers can concentrate on bug fixing even if they want to
come up with major changes for the upcoming version.

	Jakub