Re: Will gcc lower C++ to C ?

Robert Dewar wrote:

> Not clear what you mean by "lowering" but assuming you are asking if gcc
> translates C++ to C, the answer is no.

Yes, that's what I meant.  Sorry, thought it was common terminology.

OK, I have a compiler that will "lower" C++ to C: the Edison Design Group
(EDG) compiler.  However, it does not come with a C++ library (iostreams),
so I wanted to try compiling gcc's libstdc++ with EDG, even though the
libstdc++ FAQ suggests this is not likely to work.

The problem is, it seems I can't even configure libstdc++ separate from
gcc.  That is, libstdc++ comes as part of gcc 3.0.4 and if you try to copy
the directory out somewhere else and build it, the configuration process
doesn't seem to work, even if I copy over a lot of the scripts that go with
configure (config.guess, etc.)

Is there a reasonably clean way to configure libstdc++ (the Makefiles,
etc.) to build independent of the rest of gcc, such that I can at least
plug in a new compiler and try it?  Perhaps a person who has to ask such a
naive question has no hope of getting this to work anyway.