Re: Upgrading RedHat GCC 2.96

Dr Richard Charlewood wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have RedHat GCC 2.96 installed. I understand this was never an
>official release and causes some problems with programs that it
>compiles eg Sane. As Sane is not working (and I'm hoping this is
>the reason) I want to upgrade 2.96 to an official version.
>
>Would the GCC 2.96 compile 3.04's source correctly?

Hi,

I don't know which is the official word on this, but many people have
tried and, consistently, it works.
Of course, it is much better if you start from a recent version of
2.96-RH (2.96-98, the version distributed with RedHat 7.2, should be
safe, for instance). Also, of course, please follow in detail the
installation instructions (http://gcc.gnu.org/install/), doing a full
make bootstrap and, then, make check before installing.

Ciao, Paolo.