Class layout differences across platforms ?

Hi,

I'm wondering how the layout of c++ classes differs on multiple platforms -
I'm playing around with dynamic object creation and changing pointers to
virtual functions at runtine without the object noticing.

I know that the size of elementary data types will be different across
architecturs but how much differs the vtable layout, the base class
pointers, the variables and the name mangeling scheme between the supported
platforms.

Is it likely that these parts of the ABI will change again in future ?

I've tested the class layout described in the ia64 ABI on my Pentium2 box
and it seems to be the same here.

Thanks for your time & for reading this.

Greetings - Thomas