Re: patch for -Wno-long-long and early GNAT compilers

On Mar 19, 2002, kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) wrote:

> After the 3.1 GCC release (in which GNAT will work, though not be
> "supported"), we can just say that version is required to build the
> version for 3.2 and that will be the end of this problem.

I can agree that this will be the end of the problem depending on the
answer to my following question: how about 3.3?  Are we going to try
to make at least some effort to keep GCC GNAT buildable with any
earlier releases of GCC supporting GNAT (i.e., 3.1), or as soon as 3.2
is out, patches will soon find their way into the CVS tree that break
bootstraps that start from 3.1?

It's this attitude that bothers me, despite my seeing a rationale for
it.  Look, I don't care who's the provider of the single gnat
bootstrap compiler, I dislike the fact that it *is* a single gnat
bootstrap compiler, as opposed to the more traditional GCC approach
of the problem, that I can summarize as `look, we can't guarantee it
will build and work with any C compiler every written under the sun,
but if it manages to get GCC to the end of a bootstrap, odds are that
the resulting compiler works'.