Re: RFC: C/C++ preprocessor macro support for GDB

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 03:05:59AM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> > I *really* don't see why Jim went to all the trouble, since it would
> > probably have taken less than half a week to add the necessary
> > changes to libcpp.
>
> This level of opprobrium is not constructive.  cpplib's interface is
> not well documented; I am not surprised that Jim was confused enough
> that he thought it couldn't do what he wanted.

Except that, had Jim *asked*, or looked back in the archives, he would
have found out we had this exact discussion a year ago, except I took
the position it was hard to do.
Turns out, as Neil pointed out, that I was wrong.

> I *think* that plain old cpp_get_token ought to handle returning
> tokens one at a time as Jim needs, unless I've misunderstood something
> about the problem.  I'll be happy to work with Jim to clarify how to
> use cpplib, and/or add features so that GDB can use it.
Exactly. Which is why, had he mentioned it before, he probably could have
avoided a lot of work.
Whether you think it's constructive or not, it's becoming a problem, and
it's not specific to Jim or GDB.