Re: gcc 3.1 fails to build Linux 2.4.7 kernel on i686-linux

I compiled 2.4.17 with the pre-emption patch applied
(http://kpreempt.sourceforge.net). The distribution was RedHat 7.2 running
under RedHat's latest official kernel (2.4.9-21) and library updates at the
time of the compilation test. The version of gcc 3.1 I built was 20020311.
When I built this version of 3.1 I built everything. After successfully
building my version of 2.4.17 with gcc 3.1, I attempted to boot it, but the
kernel panicked (which at this time isn't surprising). I've also built gcc
under cygwin (1.3.10) on Windows 2000 SP2. So far, with the limited work I've
cross compiled with 3.1 pre-releases, I have not been surprised or greatly
disappointed.

You'll note that the kernel I built is not the official RedHat release. Also
noted that 2.4.7 is not Redhat's latest release, either. If Carl Rodrigues
wishes to use official RedHat kernels in his testing of gcc 3.x, then perhaps
he should look at 2.4.19-21 or later.

As for the comment that the Linux kernel is somehow not a good enough test for
gcc 3.x, all interested parties (gcc hackers as well as kernel hackers) should
have a keen interest in how the Linux kernel compiles and executes under the
latest gcc. It behooves both sides to clean up both their acts or run the risk
of being left behind.