Re: RCS tags in ada source files

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 05:27:28PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 13-Mar-2002, Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
> > <<*Quite* a shame.  Often I have wanted to know what revision (from the FSF
> > repo) of a GCC or Binutils file I have.
>
> So ship the `CVS' directories in the source distribution.
> That keeps the revision numbers present, but in a place where
> they don't cause problems for `diff' or `cvs diff'.

You might be surprised by the number of people that import GCC/Binutils
bits into their own CVS repositories.  *BSD's, Cygnus, Wind River, many
other embedded companies, etc..  It would not be easy to have the FSF
CVS/ laying around.  Certainly much more a PITA than just having SCM ID's
in the source itself.  They serve a purpose -- I am surprised that many
people do know believe this.