Re: I need help with compiling/linking c++ programs under gcc 3.0.4[UW/EE Research Computing #51]

On Thu, 07 Mar 2002, Jeff Silverman wrote:

> This worked!!!!
>
> I don't understand why.  I was under the impression that the gcc would
> handle either C++ or C code?  Obviously, I'm wrong.  But I don't get it.

Yes and no.  To give you a rough idea, both gcc and g++ share a
common back end (the code generator and optimizer), but they
differ in how they parse your program (the front end) and the
runtime glue that needs to be linked to generate the final
executable.

This is true for all the languages supported by GCC (Java,
Fortran, Objective C, ADA).

> And Diego, isn't after midnight in North Carolina?   :-)

I suppose, but I don't live in NC  :)

Diego.