Re: Results for g++ 3.1 application testing on i686-pc-linux-gnu

> Sigh.  The right fix is to replace the declaration
>
>      extern const int __WORD_BIT;
>
> in bits/stl_bvector.h with
>
>        const int __WORD_BIT = int(CHAR_BIT*sizeof(unsigned int));
>
> and ditch that line in src/stl-inst.cc.

Hmmm. I take issue with this.

I think the real, best solution would be to remove all these goofy global
constants from the SGI STL, and put them in base classes where
possible.......

If that's not always possible I suppose Gaby's suggestion is the
next-best thing. It's annoying to me to see, for every header with

const int l = 5;

in it, this in every object file

00000000 r l

I know the GNU linker merges these, but still. Oh well.

-benjamin