Re: Linkage of GPLed GCC to Closed Source via XML or Perl

On Mar  2, 2002, James Michael DuPont <mdupont777@yahoo.com> wrote:

> First I will change the license text on all the
> programs that deal with the introspector, even to perl
> ones to strict gpl. I think some of the perl scripts
> were artistic licence.

> Secondly, I am going to officially limit the usage of
> the introspector for improving the GCC compiler itself
> (This can always be taken back when we get more
> information about how to move forward).

> Can be done via a simple statement like :
> BEGIN LEGALEZE
> The program is intended to be used internally by the
> gcc project. It is not to compile any other source
> code other than the GCC compiler and their GPLed code.
> All output from it is under the gpl and cannot be used
> in any other project without written permission?
> END LEGALEZE
> And now, I cannot afford a lawyer, I am not making any
> money off of this.

IANAL, so don't take this as legal advice, but my understanding is
that the issue is not as simple as *claiming* that the output of your
tool is derived work in order to have rights over defining its
license.  Whether something is a derived work of something else or not
is covered by copyright law.  Even if you'd add some boilerplate
license code to any output your program emits, or even intertwine your
own code with it so as to make it more and more dependent on your
program, which would make it easier to show that it's work derived
from yours, if the user managed to extract all parts that were
copyrighted by you from your output, they might have a point in
claiming they can choose the license of the remainder of the output
however they like.

So make sure you get RMS to talk to FSF lawyers about this before you
do something that might harm the GNU project, if you can't afford a
lawyer yourself.