Re: g++ and aliasing bools

Paolo Carlini <pcarlini@unitus.it> writes:

[...]

| My sympathy with Dan's message was due to the fact that in the last
| months I got the impression that C++-alias analysis may be really
| crucial in order to effectively optimize some codes whereas it looks
| like, for some reason nobody among the knowledgeable people is actively
| working on it...

I think Mark and Kenner would like to see GCC performance improve.
I think that is the case for every GCC developper.  However, limited
ressources mean things have to be assigned priority.  Optimizations
have high priorities (cf. regular patches and discussions about such
and such Intermdiate Language Tranformations).  It may be that
an optimization like alias analysis doesn't have the highest priority
but that doesn't mean notbody isn't consider it -- hey, isn't Mark who
implemented the type-based analysis in g++? ;-)

-- Gaby