Re: QNX Port

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 10:41:57PM -0700, Andy Olson wrote:
> Therefore, I was able to distill out the very minimal configuration
> changes, and target macros needed to port the stock GNU GCC 2.95.3 tree
> to QNX.  This one configures, builds, and installs, either native or
> cross, exactly like the Solaris and Linux ports I am used to.  I
> included the minimum changes to the compiler itself, since I am
> interested in this port having behaving the same was as the other more
> common i386 targets.

Cool!  I know a lot of people who have had problem with the QNX
maintained version of gcc.

> 1)  The "new" config.guess script guesses "x86-pc-nto-qnx".  Should this
> be corrected to "i386-pc-nto-qnx"?  It seems that all the other "pc"
> ports do.

Probably.  Look at config.guess and config.gcc to see how it
is done for other similar platforms.

> 2)  Is the 2.95.3 branch still maintained?  Or has all focus shifted to
> the 3.0 branch?  If so, can (or should) a patch be submitted?

Most of the active development is being done on the 3.x version.
Bernd Schmidt <bernds@redhat.com> is the maintainer of the 2.95 tree,
but that tree is basically in maintenance mode, so not much is going
on there.
Look at the instructions at http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html for
instructions on how to prepare patches to be submitted to the
gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org mailing list.

> 3)  If not 2, is it considered "bad form" to make a patched tree (or the
> patches) available over the net?  There are people who would like to try
> this port, in order to get other applications to port.

You can do that if you want, there are different projects and people
who have maintained their own patches to GCC before.  The FSF GCC project
always appreciates help though!

If you could go to http://gcc.gnu.org/cvs.html, and try integrating
QNX RTP support into the latest GCC 3.1 tree, and submitting patches, that would be
really cool.  I know people who have had problems with GCC under QNX,
especially for C++.
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr