This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Remaining host configuration fragments


    A gcc that only supports 6 platforms, and nothing else isn't what we
    should sign up for.  This would be bad.  Making a decision that
    ultimately results in this outcome, is also bad and I am against it.

I agree.

The major point of GCC is its diversity: that it runs on every machine.
Agressively removing targets would greatly diminish that.

    Bitrotting is fine.  Everything bitrots.  It is a natural state of
    affairs.  As the code matures, the incident rate of bitrotting should
    decrease.  A slightly bitrotted port is usually fairly easy to get
    going again.

Agreed.

    IBM-RT I think is finally dead.  Quick, bonus points if someone can
    even name the chip in it.  Kenner, you don't get to play (I think you
    wrote it).

I did.  Not only that, I still use the machine every day, though I don't
use GCC or any other development tool on it.

    Likewise any OS that hasn't had a new release in 5 years.  These are
    likely to not be worthwhile to preserve.

Maybe yes, maybe no.  People still use old machines.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]