Re: Web headers

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 12:12:40PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> > It makes the page valid XHTML, which I expect is more important than
> > strict HTML 4.0 compliance since that's the standard moving forward.
>
> The bug would be that, since we're moving to XHTML, the DOCTYPE header in
> style.mhtml is an HTML 4.0 one rather than an XHTML one.  (contribute.html
> includes the appropriate XHTML header.)

No one's done validation on all the existing web pages to make sure
they are correct XHTML.  Browsers seem to be happy with XHTML <tag />
notation in a document marked as plain HTML, but they may not accept
the other way around.

Also, I believe there were concerns about browsers giving up
completely when faced with a DOCTYPE they didn't understand, or the
required <?xml ...?> header.

[myself, I'd be quite happy to see us go whole hog for strict XHTML
and style sheeting.]

zw