Re: GNU GNATS 4.0 beta1 released (fwd)

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> FYI.  I believe Jeff has raised a critical point wrt. to switching
> from GNU Software (GNATS) to non-GNU Software (Bugzilla).

Bugzilla is Free Software, used by GNOME.  No GNATS developers have said
anything about how GNATS 4 fares relative to my wishlist though I pointed
it out on gnats-devel
<URL:http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gnats-devel/2001-q4/msg00121.html>,
whereas we have had useful comments from Bugzilla developers.  Has anyone
asked RMS about the acceptability of switching to Bugzilla?

There has been and is plenty of opportunity for GNATS developers to
present the case for GNATS 4 to GCC, relative to the various features
people have wanted - those on my list, but also others that may not be
present in Bugzilla either such as automatic verification of bugs, keeping
track of a bug's status in multiple GCC versions, sending unparsable mail
to a moderator for manual filing if not spam rather than forming new
"pending" PRs from it.  (Any GNATS developers wishing to comment should
read through the past Bugzilla discussions on all the GCC lists in order
to accumulate a full list of what people have wanted, and note that
different people have different views on the desirability of particular
features.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk