Re: Migrating from gcc2.96 to gcc 3.0.2

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Jeff Sturm wrote:

Hi,

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Nirmit Vikrambhai Desai wrote:

> > Operating System: Red Hat Linux 7.1.2.96-81
> >
> > I want to upgrade my existing gcc2.96 to gcc3.0.2
>
> Why do you want to replace the system compiler?  This is the one Red Hat
> recommends.

Because it is not a GNU official release and it problems some of the
packages i am trying to compile. Successfull compilation with other
versions is reported.

> > /usr/bin/gcc is 2.96 binary still
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/gcc is 3.0.2 binary now
>
> No problem.  To use 3.0.2, give the full path to the compiler, or make
> sure it comes first in your PATH, e.g.
>
> export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

This was what i was thinking but will it link my programs to correct
libraries of the newer version ?

If all the compilation can be done correctly just by changing my PATH then
that's the best solution...but i am not sure what other files in other
directories need to be updated....

Please advise me about this,

Thanks for ur help,

Nirmit