RE: SIMPLE: A language-independent tree IR

On Jan  6, 2002, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com> wrote:
> To me, this doesn't look too different from RTL.  The only important
> difference appears to be the fact that arguments to function calls are
> explicitly listed.

But rtl does not have a simple representation for switch,for,do {}while,
AFAIK.  SIMPLE has high-level control structures compared to RTL.  Functions
for expanding these to rtl can be shared by front ends.

> I fail to see the advantage of such an IR over a
> machine-independent RTL, as previously suggested by Jeff Law.

I missed that and I cant htdig it up. Could you point me to it please?

Greetz
Steven