This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: autoconfiscating top level directory -- info wanted


>>>>> "Phil" == Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com> writes:

>> (The current script assumes a huge list of tools including emacs
>> 18, emacs 19, apache (!?!), and so I hope they aren't all still
>> configured by this script!)

Phil> I honestly don't know about some of that stuff.  Obviously
Phil> they're not part of the toolchain[*], but I can see where the
Phil> original authors might have said to themselves, "hey, let's
Phil> write a super-generic build script that can configure arbitrary
Phil> programs," or some such.

The top-level configure.in code was written inside Cygnus in the
distant past.  The code in the gcc and src trees still has pieces of
this legacy.  For instance, I added the apache build rules in early
1996 to support a project we were working on at the time.  The Emacs
stuff even predates that.

Tom


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]