Re: SIMPLE: A language-independent tree IR

Diego> One of their goals is to remove all GOTOs from the code.  I
Diego> don't think this is crucial in the short term, so I will just
Diego> keep the GOTOs.

For Java I don't think it is possible.  We can (in theory) compile any
bytecode, including bytecode generated by hand using a bytecode
assembler.  In this situation there's no guarantee that the bytecode
can be turned into some higher-level flow control.

Diego> Ah, but for Java bytecodes we can use JIMPLE.  It's essentially
Diego> the same IR as SIMPLE, specifically targeted at bytecode
Diego> optimizations: http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/soot/

So far nobody has cared enough about optimized bytecode generation to
do anything about it.  We can safely put this off.

Diego> However, I don't plan on eliminating the optimizations we do on
Diego> language-dependent trees.  This lowering would be done after
Diego> the ld-trees have been optimized (e.g. inlining)

Ok, thanks.

Tom