Re: http://gcc.gnu.org/mirrors.html

Matthew Langford wrote:
> Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> > We only list those mirror sites that inform us that they want to be
> > listed.
>
> Do these sites have to mirror all the GCC pages or just the release
> directories?

Sites can mirror whatever subset of stuff they want to mirror.  It's their
diskspace, after all.

> You _know_ they are mirroring, and they are mirroring a
> gzipped release of your software.  Why not mention _them_ on your
> downloads page?

Maybe they don't want the entire world downloading from them.

People choose to mirror software for reasons /other/ than making it
available to everyone else out there.  I used to mirror a subset of the
Linux kernel patches repository, but it was for me and my colleagues
in the same building, not for the rest of the planet.  Listing me as a
"mirror site" would have been harmful, not helpful.

> You are making people come to you, like it's a special privilege to mirror
> GCC,

In a way it is:  known mirror sites are allowed to bypass some (all?) of
the connection limits on the FTP server.

Phil