Re: GCC 3.0.2 and BSD Make

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
> You want to stop binding GCC so tightly into your build environment
> anyway.

We can't help that. When you run on 50+ types of machines, you have to
know which version of the compiler you're building with. All compilers
have bugs, and all of them have idiosyncrasies. We're in the middle of
an upgrade right now, and it is quite serious work for us.

> Myself, I would be quite content to require use of BSD make.  I don't
> care which make we standardize on, as long as we pick one and refuse
> to work with anything else.

I'd suggest that someone put #ifdefs into a make to make it insanely
POSIXy, and then use that as the standard for tests. It would be
useful for many projects so that they can test their makefiles against
the universal standard.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com