Re: GCC 3.0.2 and BSD Make

In article <87n12ei95d.fsf@snark.piermont.com> you write:

>All the world isn't Linux. Solaris, Tru64, Irix, and fifty other
>platforms are out there. Bootstrapping code like this should depend
>only on lowest common denominator features if possible. It is wrong to
>release code that won't build on other platforms because the makefiles
>are broken.

>Anyway, I've said my peace.

Cool. Now wake up  !

I haven't even seen any NetBSD project member here trying to fix Make
dependencies issues. As opposed to FreeBSD and OpenBSD members, who don't
necessarily have the time to fix it all (I'll have to check if my multilib
problems wrt OpenBSD make are still there in the current tree).

I have seen the recent changes in the gcc framework, and most of these are
for the better... the main issue is always that things tend to get more
complicated as time goes on, and it's very, very useful to sometimes step
in to remove unneeded complexity... which is a bit hard, considering how
many people understand gcc's Makefiles...

I don't think that *many* people that develop for gcc think `linux' only.

Well, if it weren't for H.J.Lu, I don't think anyone here would seriously
suggest gcc actually change to gnu-make only. This would be an utterly
bogus move in terms of robustness anyways.