Re: Driver rewrite... (was Re: RFC: should we use -Werror?)

Zack Weinberg wrote:-

> I think you're being too negative about the feedback.

Perhaps...

> Yes, there was a lot of static thrown out about losing the ability
> to tweak specs at install time.  I think that if you show up with a
> compelling proof-of -concept implementation that does 80% of what
> people want, faster and neater, they'll be willing to work out
> better ways of doing the other 20%.

It would be a lot of work to get it to that stage.  For example, to
get something suitable for a commit would mean touching every port,
both for coding up routines to handle port-specific flags and to
remove vairous stuff like all the macro gunk that currently exists.
There's a lot of it, and it's repetetive, dull and can't be automated.

So I didn't want to waste time on it if objections about the runtime
configurability stuff and other nits were sticking, which they seemed
to be as the thread died out.  If other interesting mini projects stop
grabbing my attention, I might pick it up again.

Neil.