Re: decrement and branch optimization broken?

> Jan> But the review process of that work apparently got suck
> Jan> somewhere.
>
> 	A lot of patches are not being reviewed.  I am not sure what the
> GCC SC should or can do about this.  We really need all people with
Yes, patch reviewing is complicated progress and gcc is somewhat bottlenecked
by that.

My way to avoid this problem is to breakup each work to set of incremental
changes, but it has often unwanted destabilization issues, sadly :(

On the other hand I don't think current maitainers can do much more than they
do right now. I am not sure how many patches Richard is reading every night,
but I don't want to be on his possition. There is certainly some limitation
on how many patches can go in every day to keep project maitainable and
to make possible "catch up" development.  I am not sure how near we are
to the boundary, but last month, we Changelog mentions mentions slightly less
than 300 patches.  Truly impressive IMO.

Anyway it may be usefull to have system for tracking status of patches
automatically, as we do for bugs.  I think it can be possible to monitor
the patches sent to list and ones approved.
I am not sure how much garbage this would produce on the other hand.

> privileges to review patches for the area of the compiler they maintain.
I am not sure if this particular work isn't just waiting for some other
patch.  Jeff had several iterations over that patch and it may be waiting
for his mid-level RTL idea or the otpimization-on-trees.

On the other hand, this particular optimization is good example, how VPR
can help noticeably to the lowlevel stuff, like instruction combining
(nonnegative values are just special cases, many patterns may match
only for limited range of inputs).

Honza