Re: Help for porting

> Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 06:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
> From: dhinakaran <dhinamba@yahoo.com>
> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org

> Hi, I studied the Using and Porting GNU Compiler collection book and
> according to that document, say if we are porting from arm gcc code
> to a new architecture then the files that has to be modified is
> arm.c, arm.h, arm.md, xm-arm.h and little modification in config
> files.  Apart from this is there any other part that has to be
> modified, rest everything is common part am I right.  Please help
> me, since I'am new to this.

The answer to your question is relatively unimportant.  No one can
answer it up front with any certainly.  You do the port, and you have
to modify what you have to modify until the port works properly.  On
machines that are similar to the machines that gcc has already been
ported to, we expect that no changes would be needed for any of the
other files, but once the machines starts differing from those CPUs,
the probability that you will have to modify parts of the compiler
goes up.  For example, I did a port to a relatively simply machine,
but, it happened to have 64 bit registers.  Little did I realize that
the compiler was still new at the time to such machines.  This
required a bit of changes to the backend.  Now-a-days, I would expect
zero changes, just because a processor is 64 bit.

If you want a simple lie, then the answer would be no, you don't have
to modify any other files.  :-)