Re: Suggestion for option

On 26 Jul 2001, Phil Edwards gibbered:
> I don't suppose it would be as easy as noticing an error_node result and
> setting flag_syntax_only to true for subsequent RTL generation to notice?

It should be. Note that setting flag_syntax_only doesn't quash all code
generation, but it stops most of it.

What should we do about the output file? It'll be even more garbaged
than it was before, after all, but it might be stdout or a FIFO or
something that we can't safely delete. -fsyntax-only has driver help to
avoid this question, but if we're switching states in the middle of a
compilation we must handle it in the compiler proper...

(And yes, I do know people who run compilers and stuff their output down
FIFOs. Is it a sane thing to do? Possibly not.)

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'