From: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.COM>
To: mrs@windriver.com (mike stump)
CC: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, meradix@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: help- URGENT build errors while using gcc
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:08:30 -0700 (PDT)

 > > From: "Radhika Shenoy" <meradix@hotmail.com>
 > > To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
 > > Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:52:21 +0530
 >
 > > This is because i have a set of old files (created even before the
 > > creation of the c++ std libraries) these files have user defined
 > > data types named as "set" and "pair". and there is a conflict
 > > between these two and the "Stl" set and pair datatypes.
 >
 > > Is there any way to avoid these errors? i need to use the stl
 > > variables too but they are in other files, which are also part of
 > > teh same project, the stl set and teh old set are used in two
 > > different files. the ordinary CC compilation does not give me these
 > > errors!!
 >
 > > Can you tell me how to tackle  this??
 >
 > Not here.  This list is for the discussion of how to create a
 > compiler.  :-)
 >
 > You want the, how do I program in C++ list.  help-g++@gnu.org would be
 > closer to the right list.  Also, there is comp.lang.c++ that I think I
 > would recommend.

You're perhaps dismissing this guy too quickly, Mike.

The people on the other C++ lists will correctly tell you that this is a
gcc 2.95.x bug, that The STL's "set" and "pair" are supposed to be in the
std namespace.  This problem has been fixed in 3.0.  With gcc 3.0 or
another conformant C++ compiler, if you don't issue any "using"
directives, then the names for the STL datatypes are std::set and
std::pair.

Just the same, I'm sure people on comp.lang.c++.moderated can show you
awful tricks with the preprocessor to work around this kind of problem.