Re: Compiler for Red Hat Linux 8

David Edelsohn writes:
> 	Even if you do not try to find a way to use the FSF GCC sources as
> your base, I hope that you will consider the request from numerous corners
> that the version of GCC included in Red Hat Linux 8 be compatible with FSF
> GCC releases.

It was clear to me from Geoff's message that folks at Red Hat are thinking
about the compatibility issue.

I wouldn't seek to overconstrain Red Hat; any of several mechanisms with
respect to branches may be just fine and choosing what's best is the task
of the developers that do the work.  It would be easiest for all of us in
the long run, however (including Red Hat folks), if the delta between what
Red Hat ships and what others have is never too large.  Forking off at
some point from the 3.0 branch to give a controlled, supportable set of
code that won't be too far from FSF 3.0.x might be a good way to do that,
but perhaps a decent ia64 backend needs newer code that is in RH's
internal tree but not the FSF tree.

The thing to avoid is for the two code bases to diverge so far that bug
fixes don't port or subtle incompatibilities arise.