Re: Cross compiling problems with crti.o

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 05:21:54PM +0100, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> I'm currently working on normal x86 support in the x86-64 compiler tree. I
> have a problem that has been discussed before here, but I couldn't find any
> answers telling me what to do. Andreas Jaegers question is
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2000-09/msg00093.html.
>
> My problem is that x86-64 needs the exact same setup where one compiler has
> to be able to generate code for the 32 and 64 bit architectures. This is
> being done for so many architectures now, that this problem must have been
> solved.

It is a long standing problem, that is some specs have hardcoded
pathes which are only valid for the native compiler. Solaris 2 is
another example.

For your particular problem, I will recommend to copy one feature in
the Linux binutils,

# ld --help
  --multilib-dir PATH         Specify a target directory

My current version supports libraries and linker scripts. You can
do

# ld --multilib-dir 64 ...

ld will search the subdirectory `64' in the searched directory
first for each -lfoo. Maybe we can do the similar thing in gcc.

H.J.