Re: Beyond GCC 3.0: Summing Up

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Joe Buck wrote:

> > > Mips does still exist, barely. Vax does as well. The things that are killing
> >
> > FWIW, my mips compiler is as good as my ia32 compiler on RedHat 7.1.
>
> Unfortunately we have no mips maintainer and the mips port needs work;
> it's blocking changes Bernd wants to make.

If I find a mips machine somewhere I'll probably have a go myself;
I brought this case up mainly as an example of why we shouldn't revert
a patch without figuring out why it breaks stuff.  Another example
would have been better, e.g. rth's sparc patch that exposed cselib
breakage (the thing to back out if anything would have been cselib),
or a change by Kenner that caused a nasty performance drop on an ia64
benchmark but wasn't to blame for it.

Bernd