Re: Beyond GCC 3.0: Summing Up

jlarmour@redhat.com (Jonathan Larmour) writes:

> In article <337540000.994743670@warlock.codesourcery.com> you write:
> >But, we should minimize that by the other
> >part of my proposal that required three build/test platforms for
> >changes that are big.
>
> This raises the bar for amateur developers. This will effectively
> mean that only corps like e.g. Codesourcery, Red Hat or ACT
> can contribute major changes. Amateur developers such as those in
> universities who rely on resources beyond their control may simply
> not *have* three platforms.

If a contributor only has one platform, it would be OK to test on that
platform and two embedded targets with simulators.  Most
optimiser bugs would be caught by, say, i386-linux bootstrap,
i386-linux cross to powerpc-eabisim, i386-linux cross to mips64el-elf.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>