Re: [patches] Re: Mode switching for i386 (Was: Re: [patches] Re: better fp truncation sequence on i386)

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Jan Hubicka wrote:
>
> > Still I would love to see XFmode spills just as an option.
> > Think would get more tricky if we decide to mix i387 and SSE code.
> > Tnhen SSE code is not able to do XFmode spills.
>
> Should this sort of thing affect the setting of FLT_EVAL_METHOD?
Yes, SSE and FLT_EVAL_METHOD has been disussed recently with David.
My offering was to make FLT_EVAL_METHOD dependt on compiler options,
as other maros may.
This seems to be only sensible solution.
Still I believe that keeping FLT_EVAL_METHOD at current value and
truncating in each computation is correct, as it says that
values may be computed in higher precisity, but don't promise that
they always will.

Honza