This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Number of registers on x86
- To: dewar at gnat dot com
- Subject: Re: Number of registers on x86
- From: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>
- Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 03:00:01 -0800
- Cc: dberlin at redhat dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, tm2 at best dot com
- References: <20010130050602.1617934D80@nile.gnat.com>
On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 12:06:02AM -0500, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
> Are you sure this is general wisdom. I thought the ia64 design still
> had hardware renaming despite having loads of registers.
Itanium only has renaming in the a29k register window
sense and in the modulo-scheduling rotation sense.
It does not have renaming in the OOE sense.