Re: "introduce no new bootstrap warning" criteria. was: Loop iv debugging, patch

> From: dewar@gnat.com
> Cc: aj@suse.de, dewar@gnat.com, dkorn@pixelpower.com, gcc@gcc.gnu.org,
>         jsm28@cam.ac.uk, robertlipe@usa.net
> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:34:32 -0500 (EST)
>
> <<Why do we have unfixable warnings in -Wall?  They're not supposed to
> be there.
> >>

> I am not sure what this means, any warning can be wrong sometimes .. yes
> you can always fix them in the sense of rewriting (e.g. in super standard
> ANSI C), but sometimes that's too big a burden.

The definition of -Wall is:

  This enables all the warnings about constructions that some users
  consider questionable, and that are easy to avoid (or modify to
  prevent the warning), even in conjunction with macros.

If rewriting is 'too big a burden', I suspect that means the warning
is not 'easy to avoid', and so it should not be in -Wall.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>