This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Is this a gcc bug?
- To: rearnsha at arm dot com
- Subject: Re: Is this a gcc bug?
- From: Joe Buck <jbuck at racerx dot synopsys dot com>
- Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:33:02 -0800 (PST)
- Cc: per at bothner dot com (Per Bothner), bernds at redhat dot com (Bernd Schmidt), gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
> > How about something like:
> > warning: 'x' may have unexpected value because of side-effects
> > or
> > warning: side-effects make value of 'x' undefined
> > or
> > warning: undefined order of side-effects on 'x'
> > One might replace "side-effects" by "updates" or "changes to".
> How about, multiple side-effects on 'x' between sequence points?
"sequence points" is standardese and doesn't mean anything to most users.
Even "side-effects" may be surprising -- I don't think a user thinks
of the increment of x in x++ as a "side effect".
warning: the order of the modifications to 'x' is undefined