Subreg-byte patches (was: Branching for GCC 3.0)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>>> Well, actually I would think the subreg-byte-branch got more real world
>>> testing on alpha/x86/sparc than the current mainline, cause it's part of
>>> the RedHat7 gcc-2.96 AFAIK.
> No, the patch is used on all platforms (ie. alpha, x86, sparc, sparc64 at
> least, plus I think some people are using the same source on powerpc) all
> the time.

In my opinion that means we should really consider integrating it into our
mainline ASAP, and in fact an additional release criterion for GCC 3.0.

Else, GNU/Linux distributions for SPARC (which means UltraSPARC these
days) have *no* *choice* but rolling a GCC release of their own, similiar
to what Red Hat did with GCC 2.96, and we certainly don't really want
that, do we?

Gerald