Re: Installing egcs-1.1.2

On Nov 29, 2000, c958179@student.dtu.dk wrote:

> #mkdir objdir
> #cd objdir
> #srcdir/configure [target] [options]

> with the respons:

> #No match

You're actually supposed to replace objdir, srcdir, [target] and
[options] with whatever is appropriate for your site.  objdir is
supposed to be the name of a temporary directory in which you're going
to build GCC.  srcdir is the directory containing the source tree.
[target] is the optional flag specifying the target platform for which
the compiler should generate code.  If you omit it, GCC will generate
code for the platform on which it's being built.  [options] is a list
of configure-time options you can use to customize GCC.  Run
`configure --help' in the top-level and in the GCC sub-directory for a
relatively complete list of the options, but also check the docs.

> ***The command 'cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed
> ***You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler  "

> How can I set the environment variable CC to a working compiler?

If you've already got an installed compiler, for example, an older
version of gcc, Use `setenv CC gcc' or `CC=gcc; export CC', depending
on which shell you use.  If you don't have a compiler, you must
download a pre-compiled binary in order to be able to compile GCC
yourself.

> Do you think I can use GCC 2.95 for the same purpose?

It's very likely that you'll find the C++ support in GCC 2.95.2 far
better than that of egcs 1.1.2.