Cleaning up the FOM

The GCC faq-o-matic seems in need of much cleaning up - e.g. it's full of
empty "New Item"s, and many items at top level that belong in
subcategories.  (It could also do with a FAQ that points out that the FOM
is not a place to ask questions and expect people to see and answer them,
but one to put questions and their answers that seem to be frequently
asked.)

The impression that I had was that the idea of the FOM was that anyone
could register and then work on it, but this doesn't seem to work - when I
try to remove an empty "New Item" ("Trash Answer"), it doesn't allow me to
- "This item can only be moved by someone who can edit both the source and
destination parent items.".  What am I missing here; what is the right way
of removing junk items from the FOM or moving items to different
categories?

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk