This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [discuss] Re: CC register for x86-64 asm statements. Was: glibc: syscalls for x86-64
- To: dewar at gnat dot com, rth at redhat dot com
- Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: CC register for x86-64 asm statements. Was: glibc: syscalls for x86-64
- From: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar)
- Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:54:28 -0500 (EST)
- Cc: aj at suse dot de, discuss at x86-64 dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, jh at suse dot cz
<<I'd be willing to bet beer that if you actually did the work
to track all of the flag bits individually on x86, you couldn't
measure a performance difference over the current scheme.
There is a very good reason for INC/DEC not to affect the carry flag, and
most certainly the Realia COBOL compiler made important use of this fact.