Re: what should bootstrap *really* do?

Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter.nilsson@axis.com> writes:

> > Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:58:59 -0500
> > From: DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com>
>
> > I, personally, want a restartable bootstrap because I, personally,
> > work on systems that can't reliably complete a full bootstrap.  Other
> > people have other needs.  I'm trying to change the system so that more
> > than one option is available.
>
> Then why not have a *new* target with the *new* (restart-in-middle)
> functionality instead of changing the "bootstrap" target?  The name
> "bootstrap-restart" comes to mind. :-)
>
> BTW, all stages should be built in the same directory (like
> now), or you risk debugging info being different and failing to
> compare.

So why not do:

stage1/foo.o : foo.c
        cc -c foo.c -o foo.o && mv foo.o stage1/foo.o

stage2/foo.o : foo.c stage1/gcc
        stage1/gcc -c foo.c -o foo.o && mv foo.o stage2/foo.o

stage3/foo.o : foo.c stage2/gcc
        stage2/gcc -c foo.c -o foo.o && mv foo.o stage3/foo.o

bootstrap: stage3/gcc

Then you can restart when ever you want.

Nice simple, builds in the normal directory, stores the files in
the stage directories.

Then everything is simple and follows normal make rules, and doesn't
need any special files.

Eric